Monday, November 23, 2009

Kennedy Stopped Motorcade Photos - 1963

John F. Kennedy stopped his motorcade to correct a sign in Duluth, Minnesota September of 1963.


















John F. Kennedy visited Duluth, Minnesota in September of 1963. Two months before he was assassinated in Dallas, TX. Kennedy was in Duluth to give this speech at the University of Minnesota - Duluth:


Funny - he talks about a tax cut which "...I think can stimulate the entire economy..."

JFK flew into the Duluth, Minnesota airport. He drove past my parents house at the time - across from Lowell elementary school on Central Entrance. At the school, some kids (I think it was Boy Scouts) had crafted a sign that said "Welcome President Kenedy" or some mis-spelling of his name.

Kennedy STOPPED the motorcade right outside my parents house. He walked over to point out the correct spelling of his name (and garner some great PR).

My father took these three snapshots from a basic Kodak Instamatic.


The Secret Service Agents were not pleased with JFK stopping the motorcade in mid-travel. As you can see in the third photo. The big guy with the crew cut and gray suit (with his back to the camera) looks as tense as, well, a Kennedy bodyguard.
As my Dad said "...that Secret Service A**hole was pushing kids around. I wanted to deck him!..."
Great snapshots from a simpler time.

2 comments:

  1. I was there and got to touch his car and see him from a few feet away. He came up to us Boy Scouts as we were lined up and shook a few hands. He was incredibly charismatic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there too. I was holding the flag. paul k

    ReplyDelete